Monday, March 22, 2010

Settling in!!

Here I am in El Bolson, I´ve survived my first classes!! I visited two schools this morning, both were Secondary Schools, one public and one private. There were about 30 students in the public school class and about 25 in the other school. All had been studying English so I managed to answer questions in a mixture of English and Spanish-Spanglish!!

The two AFS volunteers are very kind and try very hard to help. One of them, Nancy was my guide this morning and I am at Vicky´s for lunch, then she will take me to a bi lingual school this afternoon. Hopefully that will be a primary school.

Now, to back up a little-I arrived in Buenos Aires Friday afternoon, there were five NZ teachers so it was great to have a night together. An AFS volunteer met us at the airport and we came by van back to a hostel where we were to spend the night. We had an orientation at the head office, then another couple of volunteers took us on a walking tour of BA. We went down to the Port, crossed the Bridge of the Women, Puente de los Madres, walked past the presidential palace (The Pink Palace), past the National Bank and various statues, finally sitting down to dinner about 10.30pm. I had a big piece of meat with potato chips (a very traditional meal), it was only about $6.00.

Jo and Christine left to go to the Bus Station at 8.00am and Suzanne and I were taken to the national airport at 10.00am. I was welcomed at Bariloche with a big welcome sign by Maria, my host, Vicky(AFS) and Gigi, a friend of Maria´s daughter.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have had a great start. How fortunate to get to see some of Buenos Aires. What's the weather like? This time last year it was amazingly hot and humid where I was in Argentina - and it never really rained for the whole month. Have you tried 'mate' yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I like mate and I have learned that you don't say gracias until you don't want to be offered any more!!
    It has been quite cold here and there was a bit of rain, in fact I was getting a bit worried as I bought half winter and half summer clothes and really I think I needed winter clothes mainly but today it is quite warm so maybe I can use the lighter clothes after all. Had my first private lesson so I think that will really help me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the changes in weather a bit tricky too, mine went from really hot to freezing cold with thunder, lightening and heaps of rain!
    How fortunate to have private lessons - that will be fantastic. Do you have mate with spices in it?

    ReplyDelete