Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A School Trip

I couldn´t help but feel how priviliged I am to be a part of so many fantastic experiences.
This morning I took the taxi into town at 7.30am and caught the bus to Bariloche. The buses here are very comfortable and many of them have beds as the distances covered are huge.

I got off the bus at La Escuela 150, most of the public schools here go by number!! It was about 8.25 and I was alone for 10 minutes but soon the sounds of school were evident. The bus arrived at 8.40 and the teachers soon after.

The children were very excited as they were going on a trip that day and I was to go with them. At the beginning of every day all schools raise the flag and play the national anthem, then at the end of the day they lower it. All the children had mate (a type of tea) or hot milk and a piece of bread with jam (if they want it) before the seniors went into school and the juniors lined up to get on the bus. We were accompanied by the junior teacher, an indigenous Maths teacher and the music teacher. The indigenous teacher was leading the trip as she was teaching the children about the trees and plants, how to recognise them and what they are used for.

We climbed up a mountain following a wellworn path. It was so dusty!! The children raced ahead disappearing in a hazy cloud of dust like a herd of cattle. It was so like a trip at home, the children were very well organised in groups and lots of stopping to count heads. The teachers are very enthusiastic and lovely with the children.

I learnt about some of the plants, many of them seem to be used for teas. We were joined by another male indigenous teacher and he led us on to the sacred area at the end of our walk. It was a little like going on to a marae, I walked with him at the front, then the girls behind, then the boys followed by the male teacher. The structure was made of wood similar to manuka, it was built in a semi circular shape, with a roof of sticks, then the side of the structure was covered in branches from the trees. This was built to one side of the area. In the centre was a large branch of a tree and this represented the centre of the world. We walked around in a circle a few times and I really wished I could understand more. I understood that the women and children sleep next to the wall of the structure, then there were pits where fires had been burning, then he said the men sleep behind that to protect the women and children.

I must try to find out more about the ceremonies that take place here. He said they would be here for three days. Like children all over the world going down was much easier so we were soon back at the bus.

The children all receive a meal at school, we had mashed potatoes, meat, lettuce and tomatoes. It was very tasty, they certainly look after the children. I´ll have to add the photos another day as my trusty WiFi connection isn´t working today so I couldn´t use my computor.

I came back to El Bolson in the school bus. The children on the bus were very friendly. A wonderful experience!!

1 comment:

  1. Hola Valarie, lovely to hear how your stay is progressing. Sounds and looks like you are in a great part of the country. It would have been very different for you to go on a school trip where you didn't have to be the one 'responsible', and were able to take in all the sights and sounds.

    ReplyDelete