Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Asado Time!


Today is a holiday, the day of remembrance for the time that the military ruled the country. It is a perfect day, weather wise and I'm at the Jauja cafe downtown. Maria doesn't have the internet at home so they are becoming very used to me being here!! They make fabulous ice cream and chocolate so it's no hardship to be here.


We went out for lunch, we met up with a group of Maria's friends for an asado, the famous Argentinean BBQ. The home we went to had a special room for asado with a giant fireplace. The wood was burnt to one side and the coals were spread very sparingly under the frame, it took over an hour to cook the beef, pork and sausage that we ate. There were a variety of salads, coleslaw, potato and lettuce. The meat was quite delicious and the locals sure can eat lots of it. My head was spinning by the time the afternoon was over, I could understand some of what was spoken but really I struggled to understand the detail!! Never mind I must have patience!!

3 comments:

  1. I recognise so much! I didn't realise it was possible to eat so much meat until I went to Argentina. It's great reading your news

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Valarie,
    Kay gave me your link..it's great to see you have arrived safely and that you are enjoying your visit. The ASADO looks fascinating ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adele, I am having a wonderful time, learning lots of spanish but also feel how much more I need to learn. Fluency sure would take some time!!

    ReplyDelete