Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fiesta

The Anzac Biscuits turned out well but the Pavlova was just OK, it's always a challenge trying to cook in another country!! Even finding all the ingredients in the supermarket was interesting to say the least!! AFS had a stall at a fiesta organised by the Lago (Lake) Puelo community to celebrate the different cultures in the area for most of Saturday afternoon.

We sold food baked by the AFS students and me, representing food from a variety of countries. The money raised will go towards sending Francisco, a local student to Portugal, as an AFS student.

The Pav and biscuits were popular so we did our bit. The local TV network interviewed us and the microphone was stuck under my nose and I was asked what the ingredients of the Pavlova were!! Talking about stuttering and stammering as I tried to think of the words in Spanish!! So, maybe our Pavlova appeared on El Bolson TV.

There were a variety of dance groups and musicians performing all day. It was very interesting for me to see some of the Argentinean folk dances. Some of my students from Munduno were performing. It's starting to feel like home seeing my students at local events!!
Patrick, a NZ AFS student in Esquel did the Haka for the audience. Que cosa!!

While we were in the hall it started to rain and then when Maria and I went out shopping in the evening we noticed a fresh fall of snow on the mountains, just like a dusting of icing sugar on a rocky cake. It did seem strange going shopping at 7.30 on Saturday night!!

2 comments:

  1. I liked the wee video. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Last year I tried to make hokey pokey as an example of another edible kiwi icon, but I could not find golden syrup anywhere in Argentina ... and found it very hard to describe also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was Corn Syrup that I used, it looked the closest to Golden Syrup that I could find!!

    ReplyDelete